Sunday 25 September 2011

Tequlia Mocking Bird

Sunday 25 September 2011
Friday was my last day in the office, and after an amazing four weeks I was a little sad to leave. It's one of the only jobs I have stuck with until the end and not magically disappeared because I just couldn't bear to go back (cowardly behaviour that I've now dropped). They were so kind to me and bought me an amazing new cook book! More tasty recipe adventures ahead. It was Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's 'River Cottage Every Day'. I have to say I haven't had much experience in watching his programmes or trying Hugh's recipes, apart form last year when I made his Christmas fig chutney (delicious).

I digress! To celebrate my last day and my progression onto a new career path, Rob and I decided to pop out for a quick dinner before a date with our new clean sheets and some shuteye.
We chose Wahaca at Westfield because it's convenient for us and we love Mexican food. It was absolutely oozing atmosphere on a Friday night, tequila and burritos flowing all round.


Starting off with chips and guacamole and a Tamarind Margarita, we perused the Wagamama's style menu.
We decided on a sharing platter for two with a selection of tostadas and tacos.
My goodness do I wish there was more of that Margarita, with a  sweet and sour fruit base and a chilli sugar rim, it danced on my tastebuds like a Jabberwockys performance. Delicious.
The service is Wahaca was not to be faulted either. For a casual Friday night dinner it was perfect. Our waiter was friendly and professional and had such a great vibe.

Our main course arrived extremely quickly, and again like Wagamamas, they brought the food as soon as it was ready so we had time to savour each little tasting dish.

We started with pork and chicken tacos.


The pork, pictured above, was the highlight of this meal. It was full of flavour and fell apart with a touch just like pulled pork should. The greenery complimented the pork perfectly. The only thing I would say was the amount of fat and grease that seeped out of these little beauties was excessive. It basically covered my plate and made my tacos soggy, which was a shame as I felt a little put off by the unhealthy spectacle staring me in the face. The chicken was also nice with a deep, smoky flavour - it didn't hold a torch to that pork though.




Then came the vegetarian options with crispy new potato wraps which were surprisingly good, covered in feta cheese (bit of an odd choice I thought) and a fruity mango sauce and then Black bean tostadas.


These were lovely little additions to the meal.

For dessert I cleansed my palette with a mango sorbet and Rob had the churros. We washed it all down with two great shots of tequila - the selection was great! (Bonifide tequila lover here).

The best part of Wahaca was the drinks, the pork and the fact that we had a three course meal and were out within an hour - great as I was shattered and wanted an early night! A more indulgent, wine swirling evening it is not. It's street food with a seat and a cocktail, and they do it reasonably well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pudding, Pie and Georgie. © 2014