Monday 6 February 2012

Scrimping for Soup

Monday 6 February 2012

Last week, I tried my hardest to budget my shopping and use up everything that I had bought in the best way that I could. This involved a lot of soups. But that's no problem for me because I love soup. Especially at the moment with all the coldness and snow. In fact, most of my shopping list for this week is soups and stews, somehow they just make you feel better about the coldness and misery outside. You know the feeling, the beautiful white powdery snow is turning to horrible grey slush and it's still too cold for anyone to willingly want to go outside.

Even Rob has been more keen to eat soups - something that he will usually avoid at all costs because he doesn't see them as "proper food".

Here's my recipe for a warming, comforting Spicy Squash Soup.

What you'll need:

1 Seasonal Squash
1 Onion or Leek
1 Red or Green Chilli
A Pinch of Tumeric
Vegetable Stock

What to do:

Whack everything in a saucepan and allow to simmer until the vegetables are of a mushy softness. (Usually this isn't something that I would condone as squash does not enjoy being boiled - generally you need to steam it. But this makes this soup absolutely no effort at all, perfect for a winter's day when you have no energy and just want to sit on the sofa in your onesie watching Masterchef repeats.)
When the vegetables are soft enough, get a hand blender and (stand back a tad to avoid splashback) pulverize your soup to a beautiful creamy texture.
Season with salt and pepper and service with a drizzle of olive oil or crème fraîche.



 Rob White's Serving Suggestion:


Place a cream cracker in the middle of your soup to make it "proper food".



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pudding, Pie and Georgie. © 2014