Thursday 21 July 2011

Winter Comfort Food.

Thursday 21 July 2011
I am, readers, fully aware that it's summer. Supposedly. This week has been most miserable with wind and rain, I felt as though a good warming soup was in order. Back to good ol' 'Jamie's America', we discovered a soup in the New Yoark (phonetic), section made by a guy called Ali, an egyptian man. It was called My Astoria Soup.
A slightly Mexican feeling, tomato and pepper delight including new spices called Zahrat and Sumac, two great flavours that I do encourage everyone to try out. Sumac is a type of berry and it's most available in it's dried and crushed form. Zahrat is a mixture of sesame seeds, Thyme and Sumac berries. So lots of Sumac. The great thing about this dish is that it's really full of flavour whilst being cheap, vegetarian and healthy. You don't even miss meat, and that means a lot coming from me - the meat whore. It's also surprisingly filling, as it contains Bulgar Wheat, a great source of fibre and you can serve it with toasted tortillas or crusty bread to fill you up. There is no spice in the recipe really apart from the cumin, but we added one long, red, fresh chilli to the mix as we like our spicy food.  This gave the soup a really nice heat. 
Rob (other half) cooked this tonight and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was extremely tasty.

Jamie's America wins again. 

Do have to admit though, that I have also scoffed on asparagus wrapped parma ham, and some iberan ham. I don't regret a thing. Om nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pudding, Pie and Georgie. © 2014