Monday 9 January 2012

Cake Walk

Monday 9 January 2012
This month I'm in cake making mode. So many important birthday's (included Robs which appears to be approaching a little too fast) and what better than to make a few cakes for them. It's good practice, especially considering my usual cake baking fiascos.

For Christmas I was given a Lakeland cupcake maker. One of those things I've always been a little wary about the true use potential of... But it was so pretty that I had to give it a go, especially considering our oven is the kitchen appliance equivalent of Nick Clegg.

A friend of mine showed me this little beauty a while ago and I just had to have a go. The reality of me actually reproducing something so awesome was slim to none, but what's the harm in trying right? Only the overhanging fear of inadequacy and self hatred.
Along with my Lakeland cupcake maker, I had also been given a proper piping kit. I've tried piping bags before and I just can't get along with them. I figured you wouldn't see me on Ace of Cakes any time soon. 

But let me tell you, these two little gadgets have changed my cupcakes to little things of beauty! They look like actual, proper cupcakes! (Thanks mum!) The things I never knew that I needed...


So today I've had a go.


Okay, so my Jabba looks more swamp monster, but I'm still pretty impressed with myself considering my usual outcomes. I then iced the others to look like pretty flowers - something I'm testing for my mum's wedding. I don't have a petal attachment so they are a bit chunky.


For a first go, I am pretty happy.

Not only do they look good, they obviously taste awesome. They are chocolate orange cakes with an orange buttercream, sprinkled with a little orange zest. Buy some orange extract, add it to your normal chocolate cupcake and buttercream mixes. Rich and fragrant. 


Swamp monster is watching you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pudding, Pie and Georgie. © 2014