Thursday 26 January 2012

Hello, My Name is Georgie and I'm a Gingerholic.

Thursday 26 January 2012
I'm not talking about Ed Sheeran ginger either. I'm addicted to ginger root, originally from South Asia, because I can use it for nearly anything. Consider this my declaration of love for you, ginger.


Ginger is rumoured to have many great benefits such as being anti-carcinogenic, helping arthritis, stomach complaints and nausea as well as helping the levels of serotonin in our brain to make us happy people. I say rumoured because it is so hard to prove things like this, although studies have been undertaken, but it's great to believe that something as simple as having a hot ginger drink can stop cancer, right? 

Some great things about ginger:

I love Ginger tea. As most of you should know, I'm pretty obsessed with tea in general (I'm starting to wonder if I have an addictive personality *spots a Wispa Gold and must buy it*). Ginger tea is very warming and is great mixed with lemon and honey. 
The extent of my obsession leads to me finding this particular Twinnings Green Tea with Ginger in Waitrose. I've been led to believe (or hope) that Green Tea is good for aiding weight loss, but unfortunately it doesn't taste amazing... Surely this was the answer to my problem, but oh wait... what's that? Seasonal addition?! I obviously bought five packs. Because that's a normal thing to do.

Today I started my day with a nectarine and a ginger tea (I know, I'm so healthy and smug), but on spotting this little beauty at the supermarket, I couldn't help but pick it up. The weirdest thing about this is that I don't usually like yoghurt at all. I find it pointless. Unless it's those little fromage frais that are chocolate flavour but that definitely doesn't count as a yoghurt. I'm 22 now. I should be eating grown up yoghurts, and I never thought I would. Until I found this. Every mouthful of this pot of ginger and honey gorgeousness was incredible. Must have a constant supply of these in the fridge. It even had tiny bits of candied ginger in it!
Alongside being used to make Indian and Asian dishes hotter, ginger is also great in desserts. How many other food products can you say that about? Stem ginger is one of the best inventions ever -  move over sliced bread! It should be stem ginger. Two of my particular favourite ways to use ginger are stem ginger cupcakes and Ninjabreadmen. 



A great ginger cupcake recipe can be found here and this one is particularly great because it incorporates Rhubarb (a greatly unappreciated fruit) which is very much in season right now.



 'What is a Ninjabreadman?' I hear you ask. Well, let me show you.
This is a ninjabreadman. A gingerbreadman who is also a ninja. What isn't awesome about that? This one looks particularly angry. And tasty.

Those are just a few reasons for loving ginger. Make ginger your new best friend this year. But if you do go a little too far on the ginger appreciation, make sure to join me as a gingerholic. We have badges and everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pudding, Pie and Georgie. © 2014