Saturday 13 August 2011

Migraines, Fish and Parmigiana

Saturday 13 August 2011
Naughty me, been too long since I last posted. So as a treat, here is a video of how to gut a fish, starring the beautiful (subject to opinion) ME! It's also sound-tracked to Hot Kiss by Juliette and the licks which is highly inappropriate as a soundtrack for a disgusting fish gutting.

Enjoy!





So over the last few weeks, when I haven't been busy, a few delicious things have been cooked. One particularly lazy Saturday where I literally had NOTHING else to do, I decided to do a bit of rib experimentation after acquiring two big, tasty racks of beef ribs at Borough Market. As it was a Saturday, you can see that there are no vegetables on my plate... but that's fine, because it was TREAT DAY.
These ribs were, however, a labour of love as they took seven hours to cook. Seven.
You cover them in american mustard and a lot of spices, cook for several hours and then add the most delicious marinade over the top of the crust that has developed. It is mainly sugar.... but it tasted fantastic.
The outcome was some extremely good ribs. The only downside I would say is that after seven hours you would assume the meat would be so tender it just fell off the bone... it was actually a bit tough. We tried another ribs recipe later on in the week... and it was horrific.
Tonight (another treat day!), we cooked Pork Parmigiana. (Tesco didn't have any veal).This was basically pork escalopes in herby breadcrumbs, cooked in a tomato, anchovy and chilli sauce and then gratin-ed with mozzerella over the top. A bit too rich for me, and I think the sauce would have been better as a marinara without the anchovies.



Here are two new products I've tried recently. 




AMAZING. I am addicted. Dried mango is the best thing since sliced bread... and as a bonus, they sell it in Pret!


Now this one was purchased merely because I have had a 3 day migraine and I didn't think chugging half a litre of cider would do it any good. This way I could trick my brain into thinking I was drinking it without the physical consequences. The best part about this is, I was ID'd. Someone please explain to me how that makes any logical sense. You may as well have ID'd me for orange squash. The drink itself seems that if you take away the alcohol, you are basically drinking pear drops. It is inanely sweet. Too sweet. And that's a lot coming from me, the queen of sweet tooth, the girl who ate so much sugar last week she got a sugar hangover. Maybe I'll put some gin in it to balance things out.

Also, I thought I'd give you a little insight into my shopping habits.
Firstly there's this. The BEST shop ever. Two types of cookies, Baileys, chocolate, molasses sugar, butter, double cream, whole milk, eggs and cornflower. This isn't a normality for me, I had just decided to make a chocolate cream pie to take my mind away from the London Riots. Keep calm and make pie.
Plus the Baileys was on offer in Tesco - £10 for a litre bottle. 
This was the parmigiana shop. Plus the non alcoholic ciders. And some Rubicon - something my boyfriend thinks he will buy shares in because he is so in love with it and thinks that it's a hidden treasure. 
Oh, and Migraine patches :)
My migraine is in no way an indication that I drink too much red wine. I'm pretty sure the wine helps fend off other potential migraines... this one just slipped through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pudding, Pie and Georgie. © 2014