Thursday 18 August 2011

My week as a free woman.

Thursday 18 August 2011
Right now, I'm snuggled up on my sofa in my jimjams watching the launch of Celeb BB (totally shameful I know, but I was intrigued!).

This week I haven't done a huge amount of cooking as I've been by myself, but my mum did come to visit so we ate out a little bit. First of all we tried a restaurant called Little Sicily, which was in the theatre district so lots of restaurants to choose from! On first thoughts it looked really chic and nice, the hostess and our waitress were lovely and they did a set menu of two courses for fifteen squids! Bargins. Now, I may have mentioned before that I like red wine and so that is what I ordered. Luckily for me the house red was a Sangiovese, a previous favourite of mine that I used to serve when I worked at Pizza Express. But this one was pretty sour and I struggled to drink it at first. For my starter I had a parma ham salad which was average and had some really weird tomato salsa amongst the greenery... Then for my main I ordered what sounded like it would be a really nice tender burger with salami and a salad. But I got a boringly overcooked bbq burger in a burger king seeded bun and laced with this really odd pink sauce which I can only assume was burger sauce but tasted a bit like taramasalata. And it came with 4 chips. FOUR CHIPS. If you're going to serve chips, at least serve a good portion. Four is just an insult.

So I won't be returning there.

Secondly, we visited the tapas bar smack bang in the middle of westfield.

LOVED IT.

It was great to stop for a little bite to eat in the midst of tiring shopping. I had octopus with potatoes and paprika. The octopus was really meaty and complimented the other flavours perfectly. Not quite as good as the octopus they serve at The Real Greek though. As an accompaniment I had a goat's cheese and rocket salad with salsa. Amazing.
They served churros there as well which looked amazing but I didn't try any. I will definitely be returning with my other half as he's been itching to try the tapas bar for ages.

After this snack, I dragged my mother to Foyles where I perused books for a good 20 minutes (this is restrained for me). I'm not afraid to say that I do judge a book by it's cover... how else do you know what to pick in up a vast bookshop without reading the back of every book. I'm totally book vain... I either select pretty books, sparkly books, interesting looking book, colourful books or books with interesting titles. I do try not to discriminate, but it's in my interest to find books that I will love and enjoy.

Why is Brett Easton Ellis never in the 3 for 2 section. Why?!

Two cookbooks I definitely want are 

Nigella Lawson's 'How to be a Domestic Goddess'

and


That way I can saunter about my nice middle class house looking skinny, fashionable and with gorgeous heels whilst baking perfect cakes. The dream lives on.

Does this mean I'm not a good ambassador for feminism? 

Rob returns tomorrow! Yay! So I've started baking red velvet cupcakes and I'm going to make a special welcome home icing decoration. Will post tomorrow once I ice them!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pudding, Pie and Georgie. © 2014