Monday 15 August 2011

Submarines, Pork and Apples

Monday 15 August 2011
 I have uber jealously issues right now.

Firstly, because my uncle worked Prom 40 - the comedy prom on Saturday night which was compared by Tim Minchin (my absolute hero). Absolutely gutted that I wasn't there. I did consider going to hang around the stage door looking a little bit obsessive, but I just don't want to be one of those people. In the end, I spent my Saturday night watching Submarine - great movie, everyone must watch it. In fact, I think it's made my way into my top 5 favourite films. On another note, Rob (man lover) saw Richard Ayoade going into Oxford Circus tube state and they exchanged a "look". This excited me a lot.  



I digress

Secondly, I have creeping jealousy because my oh so talented other half has jet-setted off to Tuscany for an entire week (for free!) to shoot a music video for an Italian political ska band. Let me paint you a picture.... Beautiful italian island, straw hats and linen shirts, fantastic a&r villa, shooting SLR on the beach, flowing vino and olives galore. Jealous. I was sulking about this, being left alone in quiet, sad and cold little west London, waiting to comet to arrive with the new fridge but without giving you a specific time so that you waste a whole day. In contrast to this however, I have just received a message from said man lover.
This is how the conversation went:

Rob: "WOW. This trip is megalolz. Absolute opposite of what anyone expected."
G:     "Whats going on! :)"
Rob: "Retarded dying cats, definitely not a villa, awkward dinner with some Italians and a couple of slightly                mental old a&r men."

He added that his sleeping arrangements were "In an okay prison cell/ bad travelodge".

So much for the free Italian holiday.





Back to the food! 
Being on my own I decided to cook some low effort, comfort food. So tonight I made Pork loins in an apple and mustard sauce.
This is a really easy and tasty dish to make.
Ingredients
Pork loins
Onion
Apple
Red Chilli
Garlic
Sage leaves
Dark sugar
Butter
Wholegrain mustard
Stock
White wine

  • First of all, chop garlic and a small amount of fresh red chilli and heat in a very small amount of olive oil.
  • Add the pork loins and fry for a couple of minutes on either side.
  • Add the diced onions and sweat until translucent and soft. 
  • Remove the pork loins from the pan and put to one side.
  • In a seperate pan add butter and dark molasses sugar so that it forms a caramel.
  • Add a very small dash of white wine and combine with the caramel.
  • Add the sliced apples so that they absorb the caramel and soften, then add the remanining onions, garlic and chilli from the other pan.
  • Let all the ingredients get covered in the caramel and then add two big dollops of wholegrain mustard - stir in until everything is covered.
  • Add your stock and pork loins back into the pain. Add some sage leaves to the sauce.
  • Simmer to reduce into a thick, sticky sauce and serve with green beans and mashed potato.

Tasty.

Now I'm going to spend the rest of my evening watching Britain and Irelands Next Top Model, planning my imaginary wedding and drinking hot chocolate with Baileys and ginger liqueur, if only I had a fiancee and whipped cream (for the hot choccy!) to match. :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pudding, Pie and Georgie. © 2014