Friday 9 November 2012

Halloween at the Wishart-Whites

Friday 9 November 2012
Halloween is a weird one. I enjoy fancy dress, I enjoy holidays in general... But there is a very British part of me that think it is ridiculous and commercialized. This year we are living in a big family neighborhood,  so the prospect of trick or treaters was high. Rob and I unfortunately disagreed on how to deal with trick or treaters. Rob would rather scare the living daylights out of any approaching customers, whereas I would love to pander to little kids in cute costumes. I would never let my own children go trick or treating as I would ask myself 'Why should strangers be required to provide sweets for my children?!'. In any case, a holiday is a holiday and that means an excuse for including food in some way. So I cooked a menagerie of halloween treats, we turned out the lights and partook in a blu-ray viewing of Cabin in the Woods.

Firstly, I baked a batch of devil's food cake cupcakes. The recipe for which can be found here. To make them halloweeny, I scooped out a hole in the middle of the cake and filled it with chocolate buttercream. I then covered the cake in buttercream for frosting. I then crushed a packet of bourbon biscuits (or you could use oreos) and dipped the cakes into the mix. This created an earth like texture. Finally I stuck a gruesome but tasty worm in the top! 



Continuing the theme, I created a spooky halloween cocktail consisting of red grape juice, apple juice, ginger beer and black food colouring.


For the main course, we enjoyed a 'Cauldron Curry'! A scarily healthy take on the thai green curry with chicken and loads of green veggies. This was a Martha Stewart recipe that can be found here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pudding, Pie and Georgie. © 2014